Department of Geosciences
The Department of Geosciences at Boise State University creates and disseminates knowledge about Earth’s processes and properties for students, scientists, and the public to help create a scientifically informed community. We provide high quality educational opportunities for students seeking PhD, MS, and BS degrees in core strength areas within Geosciences, and bring earth science principles to the foundational education mission of the university. In all programs, we enable students to discover and develop relevant knowledge and skillsets so that they can achieve their professional goals and pursue solutions to resource and environmental challenges facing the state, nation, and world. We welcome motivated individuals who are passionate about science, value diversity and tolerance, and believe in wise stewardship of our planet through critical thinking and dialogue.
- Outstanding Graduates, Past and Future
- Research at the Ends of the Earth
- Snow Science Study in Alps, Austria
- Geoscientists Without Borders: Boise State & Benin
- NASA Grover Addresses Greenland’s Massive Ice Sheet Questions
- MS Hydrologic Sciences Graduates (Spring 2012)
- Research at Dry Creek Experimental Watershed
- Environmental Research Building: Department’s New facilities
- The World is Our Laboratory
- Benin: Geophysical Methods to Resolve Groundwater Problems
A Message from the Chair Welcome to this information source for the Boise State Department of Geosciences. I encourage you explore these pages to learn about our discipline and our community of scholars …(read more from the department chair).Jim McNamara, Professor and Chair
The physical and chemical properties of rocks that make up the solid earth and the processes responsible for their origin and evolution.
The integration of geology, mathematics, and physics to understand the Earth’s properties.
The hydrological, geomorphological, and ecological processes responsible for shaping Earth’s surface and maintaining Earth’s ecosystems.
Faculty Job Opening
We are seeking a dynamic teaching to join our team as a Lecturer in Introductory Geosciences: APPLY HERE
Geoscience Field Camp 2018